Welcome to Kathak Beats
The Premier Kathak Dance school in Houston.
- Kathak Beats is dedicated to achieving perfection in dance through providing an understanding of Taal, rhythm, graceful movements, right posture, and expressions.
- Certification is provided by “Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya ” a premier institute dedicated to the promotion of Indian Dance and music (est. 1901).
- Ideal class sizes for kids and ladies offer personalized attention. Dr.Manjusha loves to work with children and creates a joyful learning atmosphere which brings out the best in them.
- Ladies who always wanted to learn a classical dance form feel confident on their ability to grasp and deliver through an easy step by step learning approach.
- Students get regular opportunities to perform on stage to exhibit their learnings.
Kathak is one of the eight forms of Indian classical dances. Kathak is one of the main genres of ancient Indian classical dance and is traditionally regarded to have originated from the traveling bards of North India referred as Kathakars or storytellers. These Kathakars wandered around and communicated legendary stories via music, dance and songs quite like the early Greek theatre. The genre developed during the Bhakti movement, the trend of theistic devotion which evolved in medieval Hinduism. The Kathakars communicate stories through rhythmic foot movements, hand gestures, facial expressions and eye work. This performing art that incorporates legends from ancient mythology and great Indian epics, especially from the life of Lord Krishna became quite popular in the courts of North Indian kingdoms. Three specific forms of this genre that is three gharanas (schools), which mostly differ in the emphasis given to footwork versus acting, are more famous names, the Jaipur Gharana, the Benaras Gharana, and the Lucknow Gharana.
Manjusha Jadhav is the Founder and Artistic Director of this Kathak Beats Dance Academy. She is a Kathak Dance aficionado and started learning Kathak at a young age under the guidance of Smt.Rekha Nadgaouda . She ardently kept learning, exploring, performing and dancing through her senior years under the guidance of Smt. Manjiri Karulakar.
She is passionate about promoting and teaching Kathak and wants the community to benefit from her twelve years of dedicated service to Kathak. She has been an avid dancer and choreographer who has received accolades at various venues in India and the US .
She strongly feels that the drift towards “Bollywood dancing “ is eroding the basic foundations of classical dance . Thus, in order to protect the rich cultural heritage of Kathak within the USA and promote authentic Kathak dance form , she started Kathak Beats Academy. Its sole purpose is to teach Kathak to students (children and ladies ) to master this art form , through a structured certification programme.